Hector Guimard (French, 1867-1942)
Maison Coilliot, Lille, France, 1898-1900
Guimard intended this building to be both a residence and a ceramic studio. The fireplace and exterior decoration are a combination of enameled lava and ceramics.
so i’m kinda obsessed
Villa Louis Vuitton in Asnières, France.
Hôtel Hannon by Jules Brunfaut,1902. in Bruxelles (St.Gilles).
House Huot (1903.) by Emile André in Nancy, France.
Atelier Elvira, Munich, Germany
August Endell (German, 1871-1925), Built 1898; Destroyed 1944
August Endell was a self-taught architect who worked with Hermann Obrist to design this photography studio. The Atelier Elvira studio was the first woman-owned company in Germany. The stylized dragon on the facade offended Nazi aesthetic sensibilities and was chipped away in 1937. Then the building was bombed to the ground during World War II.
Detail of the facade of Kirche am Steinhof, a church on the grounds of a psychiatric hospital (!) in Vienna.
Designed by Otto Wagner, 1907
Angel Figures by Secessionist metal sculptor Othmar Schimkowitz
Photo by kewing
Stohr Haus (1899.) by Joseph-Maria Olbrich in St.Polten, Austria.
House with elephants - K. Golovkin’s Villa, Russia, Samara city, Soviet Army street, 292 (bank of the Volga river), architect. Konstantin Golovkin and Valentin Toepfer, 1908-1909.
Villa Vojcsik by Otto Schonthal, (1901.) in Vienna.
Villa Baranay designed by Aladar Baranyai (1909.-10.) and commercial vignette for atelier Benedikt & Baranyai, Zagreb.
Maison du Peuple - (House of People) by Victor Horta, (1899.) in Brussels - Demolished.
- In spite of a rather restrictive very irregular building place along a circular square and on a slope, Horta succeeded to construct a building with maximum functionality. The building provided rooms for several aims like offices, coffee shops, shops, meeting rooms and a party hall. The building had been mainly constructed in white iron (more than 600,000 kilogrammes). Fifteen craftsmen worked for eighteen months on the iron work. To make this construction possible, Horta drew no less than 8,500 square meters of plans. The building was completed in 1899 and was considered a master work. Because of the experimental combination of brick, glass and steel this building was considered as an example of modern architecture.
The building was however demolished in 1965, in spite of an international protest movement of over 700 architects (Venice, 1964). This did not change the mind of the mayor of Brussels, Lucien Cooremans, and the building was dismantled entirely with the idea of rebuilding it elsewhere. Instead, the components of the building were scattered in vacant lots around Brussels, and today, everything is irreplaceably lost.
The loss of the Maison du Peuple was part of the trend of Brusselization, where many historic buildings were wantonly replaced by unsightly skyscrapers. The Maison du Peuple itself was replaced by a generic building, built the year immediately after the Maison du Peuple’s demolition.
Musical Instrument Museum (ex Old England Department store) by Paul Saintenoy, (1899.), Brussels.
Kaufhaus (Department store) Gerngross by Ferdinand Fellner & Hermann Helmer, (1902.-1904.) on Mariahilferßase in Vienna - Demolished.